Major cities are indisputably great. They offer culture, a variety of food, and wonderful experiences. But sometimes, the best way to really live like a local is to leave the big city and hit the suburbs. Check out some of our favorite benefits of staying in the ‘burbs.
1. Free parking. You’ll usually find pretty good public transportation in major cities (with Los Angeles being a notorious exception), but what if you want to explore other areas? You’re much likelier to score a car exchange outside of the city, and you’ll be able to drive home at the end of the day knowing there’s a spot waiting for it.
2. Peace and quiet. The hustle and bustle of a metropolitan area certainly has its appeal, but it’s usually far from relaxing. Head to the suburbs and you might even hear the birds chirping.
3. Space to spread out. It’s well known that most of the living spaces in cities like New York and London are teeny tiny. If you’re traveling alone or with a significant other, this can add a certain kind of intimacy. But if you’re traveling with a larger group, especially one that includes children, the extra space offered by a house can be a sanity saver.
4. Green space. Big cities generally have some lovely public parks, but what about a lawn, or even a pool, of your own? Outdoor space is especially useful if you’re caring for a dog while you’re on your exchange; late night walks in the rain lose their romantic appeal when you also have to clean up after a furry companion.
5. More variety. Yes, you could spend a week exploring Los Angeles. But if you stay in Orange County instead, you’ll have easy access to LA and San Diego. If you can position yourself between more than one major destination, it’s like two vacations in one. Of course, you might find yourself so enamored by the local scenery that you never even make it to the big city.
Time to widen your search radius! It’s easy using the map search feature on HomeExchange.com.
Step 1: Search for your destination city. In the example here, we chose Seattle, Washington.
Step 2: Check your settings. Make sure that “Adjust the search results as I move the map” is selected, then click “Expand Map” for a better view.
Step 3: Zoom out. Click the “-” button once or twice, and see what pops up!
Have you ever exchanged in the suburbs? Tell us about it in the comments!